Saturday, January 3, 2009

round and round

So, did I mention I actually signed up for the NJ marathon? Because I did. This means training has started. 
Today was my pfitz prescribed 12 miler. I headed out around 10 this morning, it was 31 degrees. Warmer than it's been for my last few runs! I think something fell on Loren's head recently. She came with me. For those who dont know, 12 is far for my greyhound of a girlfriend though lovely to have the company. I am actually enjoying running in this winterish weather, as long as I dress right. The other day's 25 degree day left me over dressed and chaffed. I think it beats the 90 degrees with 90% humidity I dealt with in August. We'll see if I'm singing this tune in March.
While going up Cat Hill, I saw a few folks with cameras and huge lenses. I looked up to see possibly the biggest hawk I've ever seen (except the Eagle Hawk I saw in South Africa). He was just perched on top of a tree. When we came around again a few miles later, he was still there. Loyal readers may have noticed I mention the hawks a lot. I love them, I love seeing them, I love that they are all over Central Park. It's much easier to spot them when the trees are bare. They are so strong and beautiful and yet very fragile. 

3 comments:

Girl In Motion said...

Sounds like a wonderful run. Very cool about the huge hawk sighting, wildlife spotting is just another reason to love running, we're so lucky to get to do that.

DogPound said...

I know, and in big cities to boot.

TiredMamaRunning said...

Cold weather running definitely beats wilting in the heat any day. There's got to be something about running and birding/watching wildlife....I never used to pay much attention to birds before starting to run and see all kinds of birds now I never noticed.