Thursday, August 14, 2008

try to make me go to rehab I say no no no

Recovery runs are boring. There's no getting around it. They're slow, they're dull, they're boring. I'm sure I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again.
5.5 miles this morning in shoes that are past their prime. Not even 400 miles on them. I know they're done cause all my bad parts hurt when I run in them.

While running this morning in Central Park, I was thinking about the men's olympic trails. Loren and I headed out early last year to watch, we were at mile 3 when everyone came by still in  a pack. We them rode our bikes down to a 1/4 mile from the finished. Each lap, the field would thin out so we really didn't think anything of not seeing Shay again. I was totally shocked when I learned he died at mile 5.
Totally shocked.
Later that morning, I went out for a faster than marathon pace run. The park was full of would be marathoners since the NYC marathon was the next day. There were still lots of folks milling around after the trials as well. I was about 3 miles into my run, at about 8 minute pace, when Dathan Ritz came flying past me. I mean flying. He had just finished 2nd in the marathon and was cooling down at a pace that seemed blistering to me and having an easy conversation while doing it.
Totally amazing.
Today, however, was not that day.

No comments: