Sunday, August 24, 2008

Take me to the River Road

This morning was my 2nd 20 miler of this cycle and the end of my 55 mile week. I set out early with Hilary over the GWB and along river road. I can not tell you how many times I have ridden this, but I have never run it. It's a very popular route for cyclin due to it's hilly nature and limited access to cars. I know other folks who have run it and since it's one of my favorite places to ride thought I'd give it ago.
While it was not hot this morning, it was very humid. I lubed up with bodyglide and decided to bring aquafor with me as well. I still chaffed like mad. Also, I thought 3 bottles on my fuel belt would be enough. I was wrong. By the time we got to the water fountain at mile 17, I was ready to take a bath in it.
Anyway, back to the run. I felt really good which is a good thing. After feeling so crappy on Friday and, although I had a good recovery run yesterday, I still felt fried after. It was still a tough run, but it was strong. Lots of hills and we ran them well. 
I finished with a 9:49 average pace. Not, not blistering but with all my milage this week, the hills, and the humidity, I thought it was good. And I finished strong. Looking back to my last 20 miler, which was done on a hotter than hell day and was also over the GWB, I was 13 seconds faster. So I'm right there.
When I got home...oh my god, my girlfriend is so awesome. She mixed me up a recovery drink right away. I took my ice bath and she had a cuppa tea waiting for me and lunch. She is truely awesom. Even other people think so. Ok, enough bragging.
Now, my 55 mile week is complete. I've never run this much in one week before. I must say, I'm glad that's done though it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
It's all down hill from here.

2 comments:

Girl In Motion said...

Yay!! The fact that you did a hilly route, it was disgustingly humid and you ran with someone (chatting takes effort!) makes it a really good run, best of all, you finished strong. What more could a gal ask for?

Congrats on finishing out the 55 with a smile!

DogPound said...

Thanks.
I'm really glad this one's in the books!