Saturday, December 20, 2008

hell no we wont snow!

This morning, NYRR had the last race of the year slated, a 15k. I ran my ass off during this race and was sorta maybe hoping to do the same this year. Well, mother nature had other plans. NYC got hit with a mild snow storm yesterday leaving everything an icy slushy snowy mess. In interest of preventing broken ankles, NYRR turn the race into a fun run. Usually I go do these things anyway but this morning I was feeling lazy.
Instead I waited til almost 10am and headed out for an 8 miler in the park with Loren. It was 24 degrees with a windchill of 14. Dressed properly, I didn't mind at all. I wore a winter cycling jacket and stuck a fuel belt bottle in the pocket so I'd have some water. All the fountains in the park are shut off. A little more than a mile into the run, we ran into another Front Runner. The 3 of us had a lovely run around the loop. I saw a hawk fly by with it's breakfast dangling from it's beak and land in a tree. I saw several red cardinals sticking out brightly against the white snow. Central Park has amazing birds.
I love running in the park in the snow, clearly so do many many other NYers. Many braved the conditions and did the 15k anyway while others were simply out there on their own.
Except for the first and last hilly/icy miles, I was clipping off miles around 9:10 pace. I felt really good. 8 miles for the day.

In other news, I went back to PT Pete yesterday. He thinks I'm in fairly good shape I just need to get back on the program. I plan on it, I dont want to go into a new cycle hurting.

2 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

BBRRRR- how do you run in that stuff? "Fun Run" is kind of a weird concept for an event. Haha. Sounds like you had a great morning. Good luck on your upcoming training cycle- stay strong!

DogPound said...

Thanks! It's not so bad. Even when it's that cold, I end up sweating through all my clothes anyway.
I think NYRR turns them into fun runs cause people are gonna show up and run no matter what.

Hey congrats on your WIN. That is truly awesome.

I'll be in Alabama for Christmas!