Tuesday, November 3, 2009

These streets will make you feel brand new, the lights will inspire you, Let's hear it for New York

The 40th NYC Marathon is in the books and did not disappoint.
Sat. morning I went to the FRNY pancake breakfast, a Front Runners tradition. It was here I really realized I was not upset about running. All that tension and stress I normally feel the day before a marathon was gone. I wasn't worrying about the weather, every little ache and pain, if someone was giving me some unknown cootie. I got to just wish everyone luck and relax.
Race morning, Loren and I rode over to our friend Marge's house to watch the pros. I'm usually in the park to see the pros go by mile 24. While that is totally cool to see them in person I then miss the end of the race which is pretty cool to see. So this time I watched in on TV.
Watching Meb win was totally amazing. He ran a really smart race. Incredible to finally see an American win NYC.
Shortly after, Loren and I high tailed it over to mile 24. Riding our bikes, we were there in less than 10 minutes. With the range of runners our team has and with the new wave start, I knew it was going to be a long day. I had to pace myself. The mile 24 water station is also a FRNY tradition (click here for a lovely photo from the '82 crowd). As I've mentioned before, I do it the years I dont run and since a marathon is out of the question for the wifey, this was her 8th year of service. If you run NYC, look for Loren in the Ithaca is Gorges Tshirt. She's use to hugs, hellos, and the stray kiss.
We got there just as our first runner came through. Rich clocked a blistering 2:41. We spent the next several hours handing out water and cheering. It's a long day but so worth. It's so much fun watching everyone come though. I know from my experiences running NYC that it is so cool to get to mile 24 and see someone you know, even if it's just one person, it can make all the difference.
All in all, FRNY, had 108 people run, times varying from 2:41 to 7:11 and everything inbetween. PR, BQ, first time, and even some devil dogs that made it the whole 26.2.
I'm proud of all of you and I hope you're proud of yourselves!


Ok, now on to me.
Still not running. I had an xray this morning to rule out a stress fracture which neither my PT or my DR think I have but in order to get an MRI, I need an xray first. Totally stupid. There's a chance I have a tear in my facia. I'm hoping it's just really irritated. I haven't run in close to 2 weeks. Well,if I need to take an extended break, let it be now so I can go into Boston ready to kick some ass.
I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

TiredMamaRunning said...

I hope it's not the worst case scenario...so stupid that you have to get the x-ray first! You're right, though-better to get to the bottom of it right now, heal up and start training for Boston at 100%.

NYC....that had to have been just an amazing spectator experience. I'm loving that Meb won-quite a comeback from not making the Olympic team last year, and recovering from a stress fracture. Hopefully the lottery gods will smile on me and let me in to run next year...

DogPound said...

well I forgot to mention that after looking at the xray they said it's not fractured, though stress fractures dont show up on xrays usually. I think it's tendonistis. We'll see!
NYC is fun to watch and fun to race. I mean, I'm biased since I live here...

Girl In Motion said...

Argh about the x-ray but yay on the MRI, might as well see what can be seen. Here's hoping that means nothing.

Sounds like a blast yesterday! Love the pic of the old crew in their yellow rain outfits, too.

L.A. Runner said...

Glad you had fun watching NYCM! I'm totally jealous. Let us know about the foot. You still have plenty of time to train for Boston. No worries!!!!!!!!!

Black Bear! said...

I hope it isn't anything major. Yeh, lots of time before Boston.

Unknown said...

Fingers crossed for "very irritated" instead of "tear"!!

BarbBQ said...

My fingers are crossed too - I vote for whatever heals up most quickly and painlessly.

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the cheerleading experience.

I'm hoping to run a good half in February and re-NYCQ.

DogPound said...

Barb, that would be awesome, we'll have a huge FE here next year.