Monday, May 18, 2009

where do we go now

Ok, I'm bored. I'm tired of being in recovery mode, though I know I'm still recovering because I'm still tired. I am running, getting back into it though not fast enough for my liking.
I did race this weekend however. I did the Healthy Kidney 10k. If it wasn't a team points race, I might have sat it out. 
Initially I went into it thinking I'll run with a number but once I got into my corral, I decided I was going to race it. I'm not sure that was the best idea but oh well. I was actually 10 seconds ahead of my PR at mile 3. Then mile 4 came, which is pretty much a mile long incline, and the wheels fell off. What a huge surprise, I had no power. 
Some where around mile 4.5 my team mate Megan caught me. She said "I need help" I said, dont' look at me, I've got nothing. So she said ok, we'll help each other. Then she left me in the dust, no surprise there, I wasn't kidding when I said I had nothing.  I finished in 47:42, about 70 seconds off my PR (Megan finished a minute ahead of me). I was 3rd for my team.
Of course the best part about this race was going out to brunch after.
I ran easy yesterday with Loren and Bea. I love running with the dog, she's gets really into and then she sleeps the rest of the day.
I'm gearing up for the Brooklyn Half on 5/31. I'm still going back and forth on how to get ready for that. At least 1 double digit run before then for sure, maybe 2. I'm thinking a 10 and a 12. I also might run cross country on Thurs. just for fun and a bit of tempo.
Taking suggestions on what to do to get ready!

5 comments:

Girl In Motion said...

Since you weren't 100% de-marathoned for the 10k (great job, btw) finish up the rest period till you feel energized again. A 10 and 12 sounds great, as does some tempoish running (at Half pace would be great, as it gives you a chance to practice race pace, plus it's not a killer speed). I always like a short speed session on the Mon or Tues before a weekend race, too.

Mir said...

GIM is wise! :) Your plan sounds solid to me and I bet you'll come up with yet another PR. You're on FI-YUH!

L.A. Runner said...

I'm glad you're recovering well, just don't push things TOOO much. I know those post-marathon plans are boring, but they do have a great purpose.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know - yesterday i received confirmation that my entry was selected in the lottery .... I am on the way to run around NYC - slower than you - but hey!!!!

Mike

DogPound said...

Congrats Mike! See you in November!