ok ok ok, I've been MIA. Much to report on. Let's do some bullet points to get you all up to date.
• The day after my last post I was up to da bronx to run cross country again. Why did I think this was a good idea? I was tired. I felt like my heart was going to burst through my lungs and jump out of my chest. I didn't run well, it was more like a tempo run which is fine. Amazingly enough, I was 2nd in my age group. The killer is I got out kicked by the woman who WON my age group in the last 100m. Oh well. There was no way I could have held her off.
• 2 weeks after that, I was back to da bronx to keep my string of winning baked goods alive. I was not successful in that effort. During my warm up, I completely ate shit on the trail, twisting my ankle, skinning my knee, covering myself in dust and looking like a fool walking back to the start with a number pinned on. Since I race there often, one of the organizers took one look at me, shook his head, and handed me my $5 back. So the bake goods streak for the summer ended at 2 muffins and 1 piece of carrot cake. Not bad.
• The ankle is fine, it wasn't a bad twist. A few days off and ready to go again. Skinned knees. I'm almost 40.
• I do not remember the last time I did speed work.
• Getting ready for this half ironman has been interesting. I've been riding well and running pretty well, except for the no speed work out thing. Will report back next week post race.
• I ran the Bronx half today. I figured since I'm doing a half ironman next week I should make sure I can still run 13.1 miles. Again, not being raced. I ran 1:51:18 8:30 pace. Just fine for a long run. Thankfully the temps were down though it was still really really humid. Glad to have that over.
• And lastly, after cursing Active.com endlessly, lots of online chats, more cursing, some texts and a phone call, I signed up for Ironman Lake Placid for next July This will be my 4th Ironman. Minutes after signing up I also said to myself, this will be my last Ironman. Those are famous last words. Stayed tuned for the next, oh YEAR, as I get ready for an adventure I haven't been on since 2004.